Backing up my computer is the last thing I ever want to do. I know it’s simple to do these days, but it’s the initial setup that I can’t bear to wait through. But we all know our hard drives are bound to kick the bucket and at the rate I’ve been taking photographs this last year, I can’t afford to lose all those precious memories. Maybe it’s time I just nut-up and do it.
Today, Western Digital unveiled their redesigned My Book World Edition network drives to do just that. These large capacity network drives are great for storing and streaming content to your Xbox 360, PS3 or other DLNA player. Content will make its way to your iTunes or Windows Media Player 11 if you’re into that sort of thing.
WD GreenPower drives occupy the MBWE so they run quiet and cool. The 1TB and 2TB models work seamlessly with Macs and PCs and they’re automatically discoverable on both. They come with a 3-year limited warranty and the 1TB model will retail for $229.99 while the 2TB can be had for $450. Expect mirrored editions later on this year. We’ll have a full review later today.
The new My Book World Edition network hard drives feature:
– Automatic, continuous backup for all the computers on your network;
– Simple file recovery for lost or damaged files;
– Centralized storage and sharing for all your family’s digital content;
– Best-in-class performance;
– Easy access to all your data from anywhere, anytime;
– Works seamlessly on networks with both Windows and Mac computers;
– Media server capability with DLNA 1.5 and UPnP certification to stream content to XBOX 360, Playstation3, wireless digital picture frames and connected audio receivers;
– Centralize and stream music collection to a Mac® or Windows® PC using iTunes software;
– Remote sharing of personal content like photos or documents with family and friends;
– USB 2.0 Utility Port to turn any USB drive into an instant network drive or extra capacity for the My Book World Edition;
– Cooler, quieter, eco-friendly design with WD Green Power Drives which run cooler, quieter and consume up to 33 percent less power1;
– Capacity gauge to see at a glance how much space is available on your drive;
– High-speed data transfer with Gigabit Ethernet; and,
– 3-year limited warranty.